Quince with Ginger Jar

Quince with Ginger Jar
oil on linen on ply
6x3.75", 15.3x9.5 cm

This last summer I prepared some linen panels with a traditional gesso ground. The Gamblin gesso I used is mixture of rabbit skin glue, gypsum, marble dust, and titanium dioxide. The glue and gesso come dry and are mixed with water and sit overnight to be ready for use. One prepares the panels by first coating with rabbit skin glue The linen is glued down with rabbit skin glue and when dry 4 coats of gesso are applied. With the hot dry summer the gesso dried very quickly.

I loved using this ground instead of the acrylic ground I have been using. The paint moved over the surface in a very different way and the paint dried more quickly than on the acrylic ground. I know I will be using traditional gesso more often, but have lots of the acrylic gesso to get through first.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you. Please leave a comment!