Victorian Faces # 9

Victorian Faces #9
oil on ply, acrylic ground
12.7 x 12.7 cm/5x5 in
Another Victorian faces portrait. Painted using titanium white, ivory black and vandyke brown.  I found vandyke brown in interesting pigment mixture to use.  This tube was grainy in texture and I thought that might have been the age of the tube.  I buy tubes of oil paint when I see them at garage sales and also inherited  quite a few so they are really old!  But I then bought a new tube and found the texture grainy, so I suppose that is a quality of one of the pigments in the mix.  The faces I paint are from mugshots at least 100 years old and freely available  on the internet.  They are all women accused of some fairly minor offence, often sentenced to horrendous terms.  I find their expressions very interesting, Some embarrassed, some defiant, some pathetic etc.   Trying to capture the expression is my goal. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you. Please leave a comment!